Panagia Sümela

Sumela Monastery History According to a legend told by the Greeks of the Black Sea, the two monks, the Barnabas of Athens and Sophronios, had the same dream; In her dreams, the place of Sumela was known as the icon of the icon of the three Panagia icons, made by Jesus Christ's disciple, Saint Luke, where Mary held the baby Jesus in his arms. On top of that, they came to Trabzon by sea without being aware of each other, they met the dreams they encountered and told each other and laid the foundation of the first church. Church of the M.S. It is thought to have been built between 365 - 395. It is thought that Trabzon Emperor III.Alexios (1349 - 1390), who was given special importance in the frescoes in the monastery, was the real founder of the monastery. Nothing is known about the millennium between the first constitution of the church and its conversion into a monastery. However, from the 14th century onwards, after the Ottoman conquest, the sultans gave various privileges and issued edicts. For this reason, while the region was Islamized, the secret Christian villages surrounded the monastery. The Sumela monastery became the headquarters of the Greek militias who wanted to establish an independent Pontus state like the other monasteries near MaÁka during the Russian invasion from April 18, 1916 to February 24, 1918. It was left to its fate by the Ministry of Culture until it was repaired recently. Presently, conservation and restoration work is in progress.

The Greeks who migrated to Greece through the exchange have built a new church called the Sumela in Veria. Every year in August, they organize festivals around the new monastery, just like they did in Trabzon S¸mela. In 1924 the ruins of the monastery of Sumela that was introduced in 2010, government of Turkey with the permission of Christians, the Virgin Mary, who is considered as bullish day the heavens and sacred August 15th 88 years later organized the first rite, ritual Ecumenical Patriarch Dimitri Bartholomew He was directed.